Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Secretariat


I just watched the movie, Secretariat, for the first time. It was fabulous! I had no idea what an amazing race horse he really was. I don't know much about horse racing, but this I do know: you rarely see race horses as great as Secretariat. In fact, I'd venture to say that he was one of the greatest and most amazing race horses in horse racing history - ever.

Here are a few pictures of him I found while surfing the web.




Isn't he beautiful?




I love this picture of him in action.




2 different photographic perspectives of Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes race (a mile and a half in length) in 1973, the last of the 3 races composing the Triple Crown. He ended up winning by an incredible 31 lengths, which essentially means that there was enough space for 31 horses between him and the horse in second place. That much of a lead is unheard of in horse racing and it is a record that remains unbroken to this day.






This memorial is located at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. My mom and I were lucky enough to see it in July last year.

This Triple Crown winner is quite a legend in horse racing history. Here's to you, Secretariat.

No comments:

Post a Comment